Open to 9 – 12th grade high school students
Deadline to submit is May 22nd, 2020
Awards for each category:
$100 First Place
$75 Second Place
$50 Third Place
$25 Fourth Place
The submission must respond to one of the four prompts and should be prose, not poetry. The submission must be the original work of the student. It must not exceed 1,000 words. Cover page is not included in the word count. Must be a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx), double spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman font. No identification information of the student should be included anywhere EXCEPT on the cover page. One creative writing piece can be submitted per student.
Submission should include:
- a cover page with the student’s full name, email address, grade, name of school, and the word count
- creative writing story that is either:
- Short fiction story – a short story that is not true, but must have realistic elements.
- Nonfiction essay – based on true events, either personal or of someone else.
- written in response to one of the four writing prompts below:
- Write a story where your main character is faced with a choice, and the outcome is not what they expected.
- Write a story that takes place in the spring about a character that achieves a goal.
- Write a story about how COVID-19 has impacted you, your school, Memphis, the United States, and/or the world.
- Write a story about the positive and negative effects of technology.
- grammar, spelling, and punctuation (20%)
- clarity/effectiveness of theme(s) (30%)
- originality and creativity for topic approach and overall final result (50%)
Please direct questions to Sydney Wright at sydney.wright [at] peerpowerfoundation [dot] org.